Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tall and gangly

Baby giraffe! Baby giraffe! *sing song* Baaaaby Giraaaffffeeeeeee!

At my zoo, on January 17th Franny the Giraffe gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and I got to see her Saturday. She's about 5 foot 5 and has the longest eyelashes and dark coloring. She was very inquisitive and it's hard to believe she is only 10 days old when you look at her. She is very brave and confident, exploring the building. Did you know giraffe's use their tongues like we use our hands? She kept licking the rope fencing and then licking the walls.

I saw her fold herself into a tiny giraffe ball and go to sleep when I saw her at lunchtime. I went back after my zoo shift was over to watch the baby for "a little while". An hour and 15 minutes later, I headed home. I have never seen something that looks graceful and awkward at the same time. She doesn't have a name yet, the public will get to nominate and vote on a name later in the spring. I am thinking of a few good ones. Her dad's name is Dusty and her sister is Jasiri. Any name suggestions?

3 Comments:

At 1/29/2007 7:22 AM, Blogger sari said...

frangipani!

 
At 1/29/2007 9:18 PM, Blogger meno said...

Pictures?

How sweet. I might have spent even more time watching the baby.

 
At 1/30/2007 6:07 AM, Blogger Disgruntled-Owl said...

I don't usually take my camera when I'm working, so I'm making a special trip to the zoo this weekend for pictures :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home