Thursday, November 30, 2006

Green Crochet Bear

The Monster is now officially a Bear. A bear with half of a pink scarf and a teensy nubbin tail. I watched Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy while crocheting and thought briefly about making a tiny stethascope for him and naming him Dr. McCrochety.


I got sad news when I got home that Chun Lee passed away today. He was the oldest Asian small-clawed otter living in a North American zoo and he lived at my zoo. He was 19 years old and fathered 18 babies - he had some babies just this last year even. He liked to drag strips of burlap around and hide under them and generally be spunky, even while being arthritic and half deaf. I have certain animals I visit every single time I'm at the zoo and he was one of them. Sometimes when the zoo was really empty, I'd hang out at his enclosure talking to him and his "wife" Jordan. If you made just the right peeping noise, he'd peep back and waddle right up to you and turn his head sideways. I think he was saying "What are you peeping about? Get to work helping me build this kickass burlap fort!". I'll miss him.

I think I'll name the the green bear, Chun Lee in his honor.

7 Comments:

At 11/30/2006 11:03 PM, Blogger meno said...

What a pretty boy. That's sad. :(

 
At 12/01/2006 7:52 AM, Blogger chipper said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. We will play with some burlap today in his honor.

We are thinking about making a trip to your zoo in the spring because you are always saying such great things about it. We love our zoo and the kids would like to spread the zoo-y love :)

 
At 12/01/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Eva said...

I'm sorry about your buddy. I'm sure he's in that great big burlap sack in the sky now. Maybe one of his latest offspring will show a personality just like his and make a new friend in you.

In an effort to cheer you up, I'm tagging you with a meme. Go here for details.

 
At 12/01/2006 11:51 AM, Blogger 3dogcache said...

What a cute otter. And I assume being the oldest otter around means that he had a good long life. I've been to the zoo out there in Chicago...Brookville zoo or something like that. Sweet place.

3dgos

 
At 12/01/2006 11:52 AM, Blogger 3dogcache said...

oops, i mean 3dogs:-)

 
At 12/01/2006 6:23 PM, Blogger Disgruntled-Owl said...

weaver- if you come to my zoo I will give you a guided tour with behind the scenes info if you want :)
maybe see if I could swing some free passes. I love spreading the zoo-y love

3dogcache - It's Brookfield Zoo and that's the one I work at!

 
At 12/02/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger sari said...

Oh, he was a good looking guy, wasn't he? I'm sorry. I'll have a little moment of silence for him.

I'm glad we found each other in NaBloPoMo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home